Thursday, May 14, 2009

Jumping

Today was a very eventful day. G's class had a field trip planned for today and due to the difficulty of transporting him and his chair, I was allowed to meet them at the destination. This meant we slept late and ate a nice leasurely breakfast before heading to Kangaroo Jake's at 10:30. When we arrived I had G walk into the building using his walker. We could hear the squeals of G's classmates before we were half way down the hall. We were greeted at the door by four adorable little girls yelling, "There's my butterbean." This is a nickname his parapro has lovingly given him and the kids have started using it too.

We spent the morning jumping and sliding. His parapro and I took turns playing with G and passing him off to each other so that we didn't completely exhaust ourselves. I am not sure this plan actually worked because I was drenched in sweat before we left. Being the mother of a special needs child is not always easy in fact its pretty much never easy; but it is always fulfilling. If you had told me a few years ago that at my age (let's just say over 40) I would be spending my morning jumping in an inflatable I would have said, "yeah right." But having a special needs child requires me to stay young. And you know, when I was in there all alone waiting for him to come back around and do it again, I jumped! All by myself, I jumped for the fun of jumping. For a minute I was able to imagine jumping on my Momma's bed with my little sister until we were out of breath. I used to be a very negative person, and still fight that trait at times, but lately I have realized how much I have to be thankful for and am living every moment to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know you stopped by so I can thank you!