Saturday, January 9, 2010

It's Not What You Say. . . It's How You Say It

One thing I have found myself saying over and over to my oldest son is, "It's not always what you say, it's how you say it." T was blessed with my big mouth. He has always had an opinion on everything and has never felt the need to restrain himself in expressing it. There were times when he was small that I required him to tell me or someone else that he was sorry. He would always say it, but you could definitely tell his heart wasn't in it. That is when I would go into my well rehearsed speech about not only what we say is important, it is how you say it. You can tell someone you love them in a tone that reveals the anger you truly feel at the moment. It is like the well used phrase, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

My youngest son also has the gift of gab but his comes across in a totally different way than mine and T's does. He is quite the flatterer. Last night we were laying on the sofa together, getting ready for our ritual of camping out on Friday nights when he turned to me and in a sweet romantic tone said, I'm going to give you a cup of salt and pepper." I asked him why and he replied, "because it will make you beautiful in my eyes." What he says doesn't always make sense but he says it with such conviction that you know it means something wonderful to him and he means it with all of his heart.

Each of us have individual gifts given to us by God. If we are not careful satan will twist those gifts just as he does everything else. He does not create anything new but steals from God and perverts the things God intends for good. It is my prayer that I will see the things that satan tries to pervert for his use and that I will be wary of every trap he has set in my path.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.     ~Psalm 19:14 KJV~

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your journal ... but being blessed with a big mouth myself, this one spoke multitudes to me. I often tell my child it's "how you say it" ... but then I find myself with my own words being twisted and cruel. I am reminded of the fact the words and tongue can be very poisonous. I pray that I will be more cognisant (I can't spell) of how I say things. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Let me know you stopped by so I can thank you!