Saturday, May 22, 2010

Just A Lump of Clay

I try to live a moral life that is pleasing to God but tonight I find myself reflecting on my character and some of the choices I make. The problem is that I am human. A fallible, imperfect lump of clay. The great thing is that a potter can take a piece of clay and transform it into whatever they want it to be. They knead it, condition it, and work with it until it is ready to be formed. The clay is placed on the pottery wheel and begins to go around and around. The potter takes his hands and begins to mold the clay. Sometime his touch is gentle but sometimes the potter must put pressure on the clay to form it into what he wants it to become. The clay doesn't always conform to the shape the potter has in mind. When this happens the potter does not throw the clay away. He reconditions the clay and begins to shape it again. Even if clay becomes brittle and breaks it can be pulverized into a powder and have refreshing water poured into it to bring it to life once again.


The Bible refers to Christians as jars of clay that hold the power of God working in us. The metaphor is a perfect fit. I sometimes feel as if I am spinning out of control while making my trips around the sun. Just like the clay on the potters wheel is molded by a potter I am being molded by THE POTTER. Jesus wants to form me into a beautiful creation; a perfect, flawless vessel for His use. I am sorry to say that many times I am a stubborn lump of clay that resists the hands of The Potter. But just as a good potter is, He is patient with me. He never abandons me because I refuse to give in to what He is trying to create in me. Sometimes He must apply more pressure to perfect the shape He is creating. At other times (when I am being obedient and compliant) His touch is delicate. There have even been times when I have been off the Potters wheel for a while and I become leathery and hard. I was not yet in the shape that the Potter wants me so He must pour Himself on me like Living Water refreshing my soul and bringing me back to a place that I can be molded again.


I recently read something that someone said about the life we live. He said, "Live until the world is no longer worthy of you." I know several people that lived that kind of life. They lived their life for Jesus and when they were perfectly formed this vile and fallen world was no longer worthy for them to live in. It is my prayer that I will live a life worthy of the call God has placed on my life and that when He has finished molding me into the vessel He desires I too will leave this world to live forever with my Creator.

1 Thessalonians 2:11-13 (New International Version)
11 For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, 
12 encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.
 13 And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe.

1 comment:

  1. This is by far the BEST blog I've ever read. I've heard about the potter and the clay all my life. I've sang "you are the potter and I am the clay, mold me and make me" ... but I honestly NEVER "got it" until now. My life spins (as what I say out of control) quite often. God has used this to open my eyes. Thank you for laying this out there. (I will probably link to it in my blog post). Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Let me know you stopped by so I can thank you!