Monday, October 18, 2010

faites vous parlez le français

This afternoon when we arrived home from 2 1/2 hours of therapy G was pretty worn out and asked to lay in his bed and watch Spongebob. Of course I never miss an opportunity to snuggle up with my little boy so I decided to join him.

It didn't take long before I was bored with Mr. Squarepants and drifted off to sleep. I am not sure how long I was asleep but I can tell you that it was long enough for a little boy with fine motor skill deficits to find the remote and make some changes to the settings on the DVD.

I will let you in on a little secret of mine. I sleep like a rock. I have a hard time going to sleep at times but once I get there I don't want to leave. The person who can wake me up can perform miracles almost as amazing as when Jesus called Lazarus forth from the grave. I don't wake up fast.

Joey had come home to change clothes and eat a bite before leaving for his second job for the day and walked into G's room to tell us goodbye. I could hear him. I wanted to talk to him. I actually thought I was awake but obviously I hadn't quite arrived to full awareness.

Joey begins laughing and asks, "What are you watching?"

"Spongebob."

"Yes, I can see that it is Spongebob but what language is Spongebob speaking?"

Okay, that comment roused me enough that I could tell that Spongebob was speaking French. What happened? I know he was speaking English before I fell asleep.

G begins to giggle. "I changed the languages."

"Yes. We can see that you changed the languages. Spongebob is speaking French."

"I like watching it in different languages, giggle, giggle."

It took almost 10 minutes to get Spongebob to speak English again. Sweet G thought it was hilarious and was very proud of his accomplishment. I don't know how he did it but I sure wish that I could have seen it. I did learn a couple of things from this experience. 1) Never underestimate the abilities and curiosity of a child and 2) Spongebob still has his signature laugh even in French.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know you stopped by so I can thank you!