Friday, December 31, 2010

My Marriage


How shall we ever be able adequately to describe the happiness of that marriage which the Church arranges, the Sacrifice strengthens, upon which the blessing sets a seal, at which angels are present as witnesses, and to which be Father gives His consent? For not even on earth do children marry properly and legally without their fathers' permission.


How beautiful, then, the marriage of two Christians, two who are one in hope, one in desire, one in the way of life they follow, one in the religion they practice. They are as brother and sister, both servants of the same Master. Nothing divides them, either in flesh or in spirit. They are, in very truth, two in one flesh; and where there is but one flesh there is also but one spirit. They pray together, they worship together, they fast together; instructing one another, encouraging one another, strengthening one another, side by side they visit God's church and partake of God's Banquet; side by side they face difficulties and persecution, share their consolations. They have no secrets from one another; they never shun each other's company; they never bring sorrow to each other's hearts. Unembarrassed they visit the sick and assist the needy. They give alms without anxiety; they attend the Sacrifice without difficulty; they perform their daily exercises of piety without hindrance. They need not be furtive about making the Sign of the Cross, nor timorous in greeting the brethren, nor silent in asking a blessing of God. Psalms and hymns they sing to one another, striving to see which one of them will chant more beautifully the praises of their Lord. Hearing and seeing this, Christ rejoices. To such as these He gives His peace. Where there are two together, there also He is present; and where He is, there evil is not.


Taken from Tertullian (c. 160-220), “To His Wife” in Treatises on Marriage and Remarriage, ACW Series, no. 13, trans. William P. LeSaint, S.J. (Westminster, MD: Newman Press, 1951): 35-36.
While looking around in a gift shop tonight I found a painting with a version of this quote from the Christian author Tertullian. He lived and wrote late in the 2nd century AD and early into the 3rd century AD but his words are as true today as they were when he penned them. The reason his writings still ring true is because they are based on Christian principles.

My husband, J, follows Tertullian's instructions well. Together we pray to the same God, we worship the same risen Savior, we rejoice together and grieve together. He encourages me in times of trouble and never leaves my side during times of difficulties and persecution. He shares the needs of his heart with me and never keeps secrets from me. He has never turned me away or brought sorrow to my heart. He is an honorable man, a devoted husband, and a wonderful companion. 

I am so grateful that God sent me such a wonderful man to spend my life with. I do not now, nor have I ever claimed that I deserve him; but I can tell you that I love him with all that I am. He is always looking for ways to make life easier on me. He loves to please me and puts my feelings above his own.

I am guilty of taking what God gave me for granted. I forget how rare and wonderful a relationship like ours truly is. He is the only person that I know without a doubt will always be there for me. I have been treated so tenderly that I have failed to see that not every wife is cherished the way that I am by my husband. I can honestly say that he has never intentionally hurt me with his words or actions. He has always treated me with tenderness. I know that whatever tragedy or hardships may come in my life I have lived a fairytale. I am Cinderella and J is my Prince Charming.

I love you dearly Joey Norton and I want you to know that you are my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know you stopped by so I can thank you!