Monday, February 28, 2011

For Love or Truth

Have you ever been in a no win situation? At some point I think we all are faced with impossible situations. We are forced to decide whether we will follow the popular path of those around us or take the less traveled path we know is honorable and true. In choosing you either go against those you love or compromise your principles.

It is possible to disagree with the actions of a person and still love them. I know because I have learned that lesson many times over through personal experience. Those who disagree with my inability to bury my head in the sand and ignore the obvious would disagree. They would tell you that the fact they are willing to ignore the handwriting on the wall means that their love is the genuine love. That simply is not true. It is possible to love someone and not agree with their actions. Loving someone doesn't mean you have to overlook things you know are wrong in an attempt to protect or support the person.

There comes a point when you must choose between what is right and what is popular. For too many years things have been swept under the family rug. Skeletons have been pushed into the back of closets all in the name of love. Is that love of family or love of self? Fear that someone would judge me for the choices of another. We sacrificed the wellbeing of one of our own to keep peace. That is not love-it is disfunction. What started as a tiny scratch has become a vile gangrene infected mess that can no longer be hidden beneath a band-aid.

I find it sad but amusing that as a Christian when I show concern and reach out to someone in love I am labeled a hypocrite but when I speak the truth I am told that I lack compassion.

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
Mohandas Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know you stopped by so I can thank you!