Monday, February 13, 2012

Double Standards

Notice: The following post contains language that may be offensive to some people. I apologize if you are offended by my use of language and I use it only in quoting the words of others.

This morning the radio personality, Moby in the Morning, used some inappropriate language while the microphone was unintentionally left on without his realizing it. Although I myself choose to eliminate those words from my vocabulary, I must admit that sometimes I have been known to slip and say them. I'm just keeping it real. I am not perfect and I sometimes make choices that I feel are wrong; as a human being I am flawed. I am a sinner, saved by Grace.

The apostle Paul says it best in Romans chapter 7.
 What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God's command is necessary.

17-20But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.

21-23It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.

24I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?

25The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.

I have been so upset over the way the radio station has chosen to deal with this situation. They have temporarily suspended the Moby in the Morning show. My husband and I have had several discussions about it throughout the evening and as we were riding in the car tonight listening to South107 my husband brought up the fact that several songs we had heard in our very brief time in the car contained the same kind of language that Moby is being disciplined for. The following is an email that I sent to the management of South107. It is my hope that those of you who read this will consider my words before condemning Mr. Moby.

To Whom it may concern:

I was in the car with my family just a few minutes ago and my husband and I were discussing the issue with Moby. While making the 6 mile trip to Wal-Mart and back we heard several songs played on your station with offensive language. Why is it okay for you, a family oriented radio station, to allow these songs to be played multiple times on a daily basis? These are not slips of the tongue. The words these artists say were intentionally put into those lyrics, rehearsed, edited, produced and played by every one of your disc jockeys. Here is a short list of songs and the offensive words they contain. Don’t be hypocritical and hold Moby (who accidentally said curse words over the radio) to a different standard than the one you hold yourself and these artists.

Toby Keith to say hell,

Toby Keith to say he’ll put a boot in your ass,

Montgomery Gentry to say hell yeah,

Jason Aldean to say screw you,

Tim McGraw to say son of a bitch,

Kellie Pickler say damn,

Gretchen Wilson (hell yeah)

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Miranda Lambert (bitch, damn, hell)

How 'Bout You Eric Church (ass)

Down in Mississippi (Up to No Good) Sugarland (***)

Drunker than Me Trent Tomlinson (damn)

Here's A Quarter (Call Someone Who Cares) Travis Tritt (damn)

Johnny Cash Jason Aldean (screw you, ***)

Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You Kellie Pickler (damn)

Between the River and Me- Tim McGraw (son of a bitch)

No Damn Good- Gary Allan

Hell on the Heart- Eric Church

Ain't Killed Me Yet- Eric Church (hell, damn)

Lotta Boot Left to Fill- Eric Church (hell, damn)

I Could Kick Your Ass- Justin Moore

TOES by Zac Brown Band (ass in the sand)

THE DEVIL WENT DOWN TO GEORGIA by Charlie Daniels Band (son of a bitch)

MY GIVE A (DAMN'S) BUSTED by Jo Dee Messina

Kiss My Country Ass by Rhett Atkins

Kick My Ass (Big & Rich)

Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy (Big & Rich)

Love Me Like My Dog Does- Billy Currington (bitch)

I look forward to seeing how this issue is resolved. I think you owe Moby a big apology. Yeah, baby!

A concerned listener,

Andrea Norton

Just a thought, before we go throwing stones at others we should take a look at our own choices. If Moby's language offended you I am surprised that you listen to country music at all. Just something you may need to think about. Now, can I get a Yeah, Baby?

*If you can think of any songs I left out feel free to leave me a list of then in the comment box.

11 comments:

  1. I say we all alt to post a link to this write up on south 107 facebook page. ;) If we all do it they will have to delete this or listen to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading and responding to my post. It amazes me that South 107 considers their station family friendly while playing songs that I have to temporarily turn the radio off to avoid my 8 year old son hearing. Thanks again for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very well said, I hope they bring Moby back YEAH BABY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Ashley. I hope they bring Moby back too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you know.. you left out two very good examples..

    Red solo cup! (testicles changed to vesticles, and yet frediie mac can kiss the unbleeped word!

    and toes! ass is bleeped out in the evening, and left in for the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good examples Rebecca. I made the list last night on the fly and I am sure there are many more songs I didn't list. Thanks for adding these to my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, totally! This is what I posted to South 107...
    All the bashers really need to look in the mirror!! I didn't realize there were so many people out there that have NEVER made a mistake, NEVER slipped up in something they said, NEVER displayed an UN-Christian attitude... Oh wait, you all are displaying said attitude. Sheesh!! That's what gives Christianity a bad name. I guess NONE of you need forgiveness, so you don't have to give it?! Talk about hypocrisy!!

    That is what is happening here. A major double-standard. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for commenting Shannon. We all need to stand together and let our voices be heard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow "Picture" on South 107 on several occasions. Not only does it say damn several times, but also seems to glamorize drugs, drinking, and sex. While I personally don't have a problem with the song, since they want to be so technical and punish one person for a slip up that he apologized for.... I honestly think they would have to close their stations if they wanted to get rid of all the employees (including themselves) that haven't cussed inside that station at one point or another under a stressful day or situation that was occurring at some point in time, if they didn't want to be looked at as being double standard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good point Sherry. Thanks for reading and for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Meghan. I'm not sure if I listed that one either. Funny that there are so many that we can't think of them all yet Moby lets a couple slip and they are ready to can him.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Let me know you stopped by so I can thank you!