Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Hour Disability Didn't Exist

It was an unusually warm January day. The world was bright and beautiful. It felt much more like springtime than it did winter. A little boy climbed a hill using his walker, a constant reminder of his disability. As I climbed the hill beside him I had no idea that a miracle was waiting for us at the top?

You see, there was an enchanted object waiting for us to arrive. Most kids take these magical possessions for granted, often leaving them out in the rain or lying in the grass where they drop them to lay forgotten until dad mows the lawn. Those kids don't see the magic of the object, to them it's just a common thing, something everybody has. Sweet G and I know that there is nothing ordinary about this thing because we know that the one waiting for us has the ability to make disability totally disappear.

Sweet G approached the item with the aid of his walker but once he turned loose and was safely seated, his disability faded away. It not only faded away for Sweet G, it disappeared from the consciousness of everyone on that hilltop. For an hour Sweet G was just a normal kid. My husband and I were just typical parents. We witnessed something that I had given up hope of G ever being able to experience.

You are probably wondering what was waiting for us on the hill that day. It was a bicycle, not a regular bicycle but a magical one. Someone special provided a hand cycle for children at Infinity Children Services to use. I have no idea who they are but I owe them a huge thank you because when he was on that bike something mystical happened. As he put his hands on the handgrips and started to pedal, he broke away from the bonds of his disability. 

We spent the next hour running back and forth in the parking lot on top of the hill laughing, cheering and forgetting that disability exists. For an hour Sweet G literally pushed his therapist aside and said, "I've got this. I don't need you." Giggles filled the air as my little boy sped back and forth in a small parking lot on a magical bicycle that has the ability to make disability disappear. For an hour he was simply a little boy having a normal experience with his parents.

Sweet G's passion for life outshines the darkness of his disability. He inspires me to overcome the challenges I face with dignity and grace. Sweet G has life figured out. He knows the secret to living a full and abundant life regardless of his circumstances. The world would be a better place if we were all a little more like my G. If a miracle cure was found today that would forever erase every trace of G's disability, I'm not sure I'd want him to receive it. However, I would like for G to have one of those magic hand cycles so that when ever he wanted we could make his disability disappear for an hour or two. ; )

3 comments:

  1. So glad you're little boy was able to experience the simple joy of riding a bicycle. Hope a magic hand cycle finds its way to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your son grows and experiences life, he'll break barriers. And there will be times when he has setbacks. But then you'll look back and see how far he's come in terms of where he started. I'm 19 and in college, and it took me a long time to fully accept myself. It's something that I still struggle with, but I'm pushing through as best as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement. Our Sweet G has not yet realized that he has a disability. He has a wonderfully sweet spirit and doesn't seem to give his limitations a second thought. That day on the hill was simply a normal experience of a child learning to ride a bike. It didn't occur to me until it was over that while we were on that hill it was as if his limitations faded away. We all have struggles in life. Some of us just have more visible struggles than others. I pray that God strengthens you and allows you to see how fearfully and wonderfully made you and others like my G truly are.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Let me know you stopped by so I can thank you!