Sunday, August 2, 2009

Old Friends and New Memories

Yesterday I attended my 25th Class Reunion. It is hard to believe that it has been that long since I graduated and officially began my trek out into the world. I have been looking forward to last night for months now. I have connected with friends that I haven't seen or heard from in years. I owe all of this to one of my classmates. Annette is an amazing organizer and managed to find almost all of the members of our class.

As J and I drove to the site of the reunion I realized that I had butterflies in my stomach. This is something that happened to me all the time when I was younger but never happens anymore. All my butterflies disappeared shortly after we arrived at our destination. There were already several classmates that I recognized standing inside when I walked in which calmed my nerves tremendously.

The night brought with it many enjoyable moments. We were able to share old memories from high school and make new memories that will be the topic of conversations at future reunions. The jello shots will definitely be a memory some will not soon forget. The band was great and the dancing was entertainment not only for those who danced but to those who chose to watch. There were, as in high school, the wallflowers who chose to be observers and the rebels who let it all hang out and shake their booties.

It is funny how you can immediately connect with someone you haven't seen or talked to for 25 years. Time has changed our looks (some more than others), we have matured and moved into middle age, and we have each lived separate and very different lives; but once we were together it was as if time had stood still and once again we were the best of friends. It is sad how life takes people in different directions. Sometimes our best friends end up being far away and we simply loose touch. I am thankful that my classmates and I share a common bond of love and friendship. Our class seems to have a special bond that not every class has and I am proud to say that I am a Graduate of the Chattooga High School Class of 1984.

1 comment:

  1. You put it beautifully, Ande! I haven't had those butterflies in a long time, either, but it's amazing how quickly they went away. I just wish we didn't have to wait 5 years for another reunion! You're right, Annette did an amazing job. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog. Hope you all have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Let me know you stopped by so I can thank you!