Sunday, April 10, 2011

Plans and Grace

A few weeks ago we took Sweet G to a Neuropsychologist for an evaluation. As I look back, I don't know what I expected or hoped the doctor would be able to do for us and now that we have the results of the testing and the multipage list of suggestions as to how to deal with their findings I am not sure how I exactly feel about it.

Life has been moving at warp speed to me for the past six months or so. There have been more changes in my life in the past year than in the 10 years prior. I feel like that piece of clay on the potters wheel again. The master is kneading me and gathering the pieces back together. He places me back on the wheel as it moves faster and faster. At first I am off center and I wobble around a lot. Then His hands take a firm grip on me as He begins to center me once again.

This doctor was able to explain more about how Sweet G's cerebral palsy affects him cognitively. There is no quick easy label or magical cure. That is a disappointment. She did, however, confirm things I have said for years to professionals about how I feel G's CP affects his ability to concentrate and learn. We were provided with a long list of ways to make G's instruction more productive some of which I have already been doing.

I now need to make a plan and stick to it. Lesson plans, oh, how I hate you. I hated you when I was in school and I hate you even more now. I tended to be a bit of a relaxed homeschooler with T. We read and discussed lots of literature and never used a graphic organizer. Would they have helped-maybe but at the time I didn't even know what they were. T did wonderfully with that method of homeschooling but that won't work for Sweet G. Boxed curriculum won't work either. It is going to take me digging, searching, and planning. I do have vague lesson plans already but I need to step up my game.

Although we did receive some answers we were still left with unknowns. I shouldn't be surprised by that. God is continually showing me that I don't need to know everything. He gives me the grace I need for each day and wont give me another portion of grace for tomorrow until the morning. So I think I'll go to sleep now so he can calm my spirit and refill my tank with grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know you stopped by so I can thank you!